Check-in with us every morning as we kick off 90 minutes of Non-Stop ’90s at 8:00 am! @Totally939Miami! - #MackInTheMorning @MACKONTHERADIO & @iAmLettyB
Some facts about Miami as we celebrate 125 years of the MAGIC CITY according to beelovedcity.com
· Miami is the only major American city founded by a woman, Miami was founded in 1896 by Julia Tuttle. She is the only woman in the United States known for having founded a major city.
Julia Tuttle was originally from Cleveland. She got to Florida in 1874 with her dad.
· The name “Miami” comes from the Mayaimi tribe
When Europeans colonized the Americas and got to Florida, there were a number of Native American tribes living there. The Mayaimi tribe. They were located by the lake Mayaimi, now known as Lake Okeechobee.
· Miami is the only US city bordered by two national parks: the Everglades and Biscayne National Park. From Miami, you can get in less than 1 hour away from the Everglades National Park and Biscayne National Park. Perfect if you want to get away from the city for a bit!
· Its “Magic City” nickname is down to a growth spurt Miami grew from having a population of one thousand to five million in the short span of a century. The moniker “Magic City” comes from its rapid growth being like ‘magic’.
· The sand in Miami Beach is imported The pristine sands are probably from the Bahamas or other beaches in the Caribbean. The state of Florida recently spent $11.5 million importing sand to restore the shoreline in Miami Beach that continues to be eroded by the ocean waves.
· Miami is also home to the only ALL 90’s RADIO station in the country! (Just thought I would give a free plug right there). Thank you for listening to Totally 93.9, Miami!