While it looks like Hurricane Florence will be missing Florida, hurricane season is just getting started and no one is in the clear yet. The Carolina's are already experiencing torrential rains and two other storms are brewing not far behind Florence.
I know sometimes us Floridians shrug off hurricanes until the very last minute but let's be honest, this isn't the best attitude to have. Being prepared with things like knowing where to go - whether a friend's or a shelter- in case of an evacuation, having cash and valuables in waterproof bags, and having enough water and food for loved ones as well as pets are tips we all know and shouldn't take for granted. Batteries, Portable radio, A CB or handheld FSR radios are handy. Do not plan on having cell service for a few days. Have extra gas on hand for generators also.
Here are a few more hacks I came across that I think would be great to know for hurricane safety.
1. Fill Ziplock bags with water, and freeze them. Then if the power goes out, move them to the fridge to keep your food cold. Two-liter bottles and milk jugs work well too.
2. Fill your washing machine with ice to use as a cooler, so you don't have to worry about draining it afterward. Obviously a REAL cooler works too.
3. Fill your bathtub with water, just in case you need it. You can use it to wash your hands or flush the toilet. Or you can boil it and make drinking water if you need to.
4. Those solar-powered lights lining your walkway outside can come INSIDE and light your house. Just put them back outside during the day to recharge.
5. If there might be flooding, take a bunch of garbage bags, fill them a third of the way with water, and hang them so they line the bottom of your outside doors. They basically act like sandbags to keep water from flooding in. Or you can go with actual sandbags which definitely work.